Friday, January 10, 2014

Our Quiet Corner and FREE Printables

I've been working on getting the house more organized and it is making me oh so happy!

I'm starting with the kids' rooms-and more specifically, the girls.  I've been having the hardest time trying to figure out how I want things sorted and organized.  I have anywhere from 3-5 kids (ages 6 and under) during the week.  I want things accessible but not always out.

My first project to tackle with this in mind was BOOKS.  We adore books in this house.  We have so many books.  Without a designated book spot, just a couple shelves in the bedroom, it was getting out of hand and the books were getting beat up.  :(  Poor sad books.

I bought some spice racks from IKEA to set up in the girls room as tiny bookshelves. They are perfect for night time.  A few books in the bedroom that can be swapped out weekly.  Love it, but it was not enough.


I decided to bring their toy shelf cubby thing from Target out to the living room.  The perfect spot was in the corner.  Between the back door and side window.  Lots of sunshine, which is one of my favorite things about reading-snuggling up in the warm sun with a good book.  And plenty of space.  It fit perfect! Not all of our books would fit but a decent amount, so I was happy.

Now to add little details.  I do have the books somewhat organized so it's easy for the kids to find what they are looking for.  Easy readers, Mom and Dad read aloud, bibles and bible stories, classics and board books.  The basket on the side holds our library books.  To encourage independent reading, I put out some of our favorite lovies to be read to.  I also put out some quiet activities to keep hands busy while listening to read alouds. Some puzzles and blocks.



Even with the cubby there, the wall was looking pretty bare.  My good friend gave me the cutest picture that says "Enjoy the Simple Things".  I know she gave it to me for our master bedroom but it went so perfect right there above books, puzzles, and blocks.  :)  Then I browsed Pinterest for some printables.

I fell in love with these two bible verse printables.  I love that our children will have God's word to read right there, breathing life into them.

  

You can print this one for yourself here.  A black and white version is available as well.


You can get this one here.

I printed them on nice card stock and stuck them in some big white frames we had. I love the color these bring to the wall.  They make the books stand out more too.  

Now I just need to find a cute child size rocking chair and it will be all finished. I can bring my focus back to the girls' room.

How are your resolutions/goals for 2014 coming along?  Have you started any?


No comments:

Post a Comment