Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Oil of the Month - Lemon

One of my goals I recently added to my list for 2014 - because it clearly was not long enough - is to learn even more about essential oils (especially ones we haven't used yet!) and use them in more of our daily routines for their health benefits.

I thought I would feature a different oil every month and through out the month show different ways we are learning to use them.

So for January:  


Lemon!  Oh lemon, how I adore you! 

Here is a little background info on it straight from the Young Living website:
     
"Lemon (Citrus limon) has a strong, purifying, citrus scent that is revitalizing and uplifting. Lemon consists of 68 percent dlimonene, a powerful antioxidant. It is delightfully refreshing in water and may be beneficial for the skin. Lemon may also be used to enhance the flavor of foods. Lemon essential oil is cold-pressed from the rinds of lemons. Jean Valnet MD estimated that it takes 3,000 lemons to produce one kilo of oil. In his book, The Practice of Aromatherapy, Valnet wrote that lemon is a tonic for supporting the nervous and sympathetic nervous system.* Lemon has an approximate ORAC of 6,619 (TE/L). TE/L is expressed as micromole Trolox equivalent per liter."

Since it's great for supporting the nervous system, I'm just going to drink my glass of water with a drop of lemon in it!  :)  It makes water so much more appealing considering you should drink at least EIGHT cups a day.  Seriously….eight??  Who does that??  ;)

I have a few FAVORITE ways to use lemon. Yes, in my water is one way, but another one is as an all purpose cleaner.  It's the best cleaner I've ever used.  I'm not even exaggerating.  Seriously. The Best. The End.

Lemon is a natural disinfectant and antibacterial.  Everything you need for cleaning counters and what not.

All you need is a glass bottle with a spray nozzle, lemon oil (therapeutic grade) and water.

*Glass is important because oils in plastic will cause the plastic to leach nastiness.* and clearly I should have sprayed the table to get that gunk off before taking the picture.  ;)

I saved a sparkling water bottle and a spray nozzle off store bought cleaner forever ago.   It fits the bottle almost perfect.  

This bottle is 25 oz.  Add 10-12 drops of your lemon oil and fill the bottle with water.  Put the top on, give it a good shake and you are good to go!

I have a before and after of the kitchen sink.  Be warned, the before has some nasty gunk stuck on.  All I did was spray just like normal all purpose cleaner and gave it a wipe down with a towel.  No serious elbow grease needed.  

Prepare yourself to be in awe of the cleanliness. 

Before: 


Umm GROSS!  It was stuck on good.

After:


Amazing!!  And seriously, just wiped it with a towel.  No sponges for scrubbing or anything.  The hubs even said, "Man, it's so shiny.  You didn't do anything special?"  

Nope, it's all in the lemon.

Nice and sparkly!  

You can order your lemon essential oil off the Young Living website or you can email me and I can get some shipped to you! (paterson.shannon@gmail.com) 


No comments:

Post a Comment