Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Strawberry Planter

Our chickens have had quite the hay day(s) in our little garden area.  Nearly all of my plants are eaten.  :(  I am actually pretty bummed about it.  The plants that I planted for them, they won't touch.  Just the ones I don't want them to touch.  I even researched plants they love.  Oh well!

So in an attempt to save what plants I have left, I put my strawberries in a make shift planter and really love the look of it.  Our friends gave us these old wire hay troughs.  At least that's what we guess they were, and they are working great.  I lined it with burlap to hold in the dirt and it's also great at holding in moisture too.  So we will see how they do.  The strawberries that have already popped out are ripening, so that's a good sign!

Here's the wire planter

 I didn't do anything fancy with the burlap.  I could have sewed the liner for a cleaner look but I just layered it in so it covered everything and then added rocks to the bottom for drainage.

Then I put in the dirt, and three strawberry plants.  I buried some of the stems so the would spread into more plants.  Maybe will have 5 or 6 by the end of summer.   Our friends gave us three of these planters so I took another one, turned it upside down and put it right on top.  

 So far it has kept the chickens out.  This weekend I will be clipping their wings so they can't fly over their fence into the garden.  :)  

It's also been a week since I have made this and the burlap has relaxed around the planter and the dirt isn't spilling out.  So it's much prettier to look at.   Well, as pretty as rustic can be.  Which I think is REALLY pretty.  So there ya have it!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment