Friday, December 27, 2013

DIY Natural Chap Stick With Essential Oils

Since we started using essential oils and cutting out highly processed foods, I've been wanting to try to make my own beauty products.  Like lotion and chap stick and things of the sort.  

I browsed around Pinterest at ALL the recipes.  Most chap stick recipes are very similar.  I chose to follow Shaye's recipe from The Elliot Homestead.  It's a really simple recipe.  I added some oils to it to help even more.  Especially since Kels gets chapped lips so often and the only thing that really HEALS it are essential oils.  

Alright, lets get going!


Ingredients/Supplies:

* 2 Tablespoons Organic Coconut Oil
*2 Tablespoons raw Shea butter
*2 Tablespoons Beeswax (which is 1-1 oz bar)
     (If you are in Colorado, I STRONGLY suggest you get your beeswax here! Local is better, especially for the bees!  And these bees cover basically all of Colorado.  We found them through our farmer's market.)
*Chapstick containers
*Essential Oil ( I used Lavender and Peppermint-therapuetic grade only)

Directions:

Melt your beeswax on medium heat.




Once it's melted, add the coconut oil and shea butter until melted.  Since I used two essential oils, I divided this mixture in half.  I added about four drops of essentials to each half.

I read a turkey baster works well to transfer the wax mixture to the chap stick tubes, but our turkey baster isn't great.  I found an old medicine dropper and that worked PERFECT.  Filled all the way it just about fills a whole chap stick tube.  



After you pull it up in the dropper, CAREFULLY squirt it into the chap stick tube.  The medicine dropper does squirt it out pretty fast, so just watch it so it doesn't get all over the place, using a steady pressure.  It cools quickly and shrinks a little bit as it hardens.  When it was doing this, I carefully topped it off so they were all full.



Allow to fully cool and you're all set!  And this stuff is AMAZING!  We all really like it.  And it helped Kelsey's lips so much!!  I took a before picture and a 24 hours later picture of her lil lips to show you.  I used the lavender one on her because lavender is healing to your skin.

Before trying the chap stick:



24 hours later:  Still a little dry but noticeably better! 



The next day, it was good as new!  I just forgot to get a picture of it.  

I love it! I used a couple for stocking stuffers too.  There are a few other oils I am excited to try in the chap stick recipe that are healing for skin, just like the lavender.  

I love having a product that I made, know exactly what is in it and know that it is doing more good than harm and actually healing my little girl's lips.

Let me know if you try it and how you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment