Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Homemade Cheese Crackers

So, I am a salty person all the way.  I would much rather have a bag of popcorn for dessert over ice cream.  Almost any day!  The hubs just doesn't understand.  I am also a snacker.  Which bugs me but just the way it is.  Since we have cut out high processed foods, there I some things that I just down right miss.  Like Cheez Its.  Full of crap but oh so yummy.  

So browsing around Pinterest, I found this recipe and thought I would give it a go.  I wouldn't go as far to say that they taste just like them, but they are pretty darn good and don't have all the unnecessary junk in them!  Woohoo!

Here's the recipe:

8 oz shredded cheese.  (I used organic sharp cheddar
1 c. all purpose flour (I used organic whole wheat pastry flour)
4 T butter (again, organic)
3-4 T ice water

1. First, mix together the shredded cheese,  half of the salt and the softened butter. Add in the flour and mix until the dough gets clumps. Then, with the mixer running begin adding the ice water and mix until a soft dough forms. Use as much ice water as you need for a dough to form.

2. Divide the dough in two, form each into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes. Then, roll the dough out on a floured surface into about an 1/8 inch thickness and using a fluted pastry cutter, cut the dough into about 1 inch squares. (Yeah, I don't have fancy cutters like that so I used a knife and cut squares and then poked holes in the top! Easy Peasy)

3. Preheat your oven to 375 deg F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Transfer your little crackers onto the parchment paper, then sprinkle them with the rest of the salt. Bake for about 7 - 10 minutes (I actually undercooked the first batch.  They came out a little doughy.  I cooked the second batch for 15 minutes.  Just keep an eye on them.), or until they have puffed up and the edges begin to brown. Let cool before eating. (They are best eaten right away, but you can store them in an airtight container).

Here they are in all their glory!





















Yuuuuuuumy!  They really aren't hard to make or take much time.  Win win!

No comments:

Post a Comment